Thursday, April 03, 2008

How About a Little Less Insulting My Profession, A Little More "Shut the Hell Up"

Wisconsinites are retarded. Gableman? A justice of the Wisconsin Supreme Court?

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

I grew up in this state. I know the population is comprised mostly of rural, conservative people. I've always tried to be open-minded. My friends in high school were mostly of this ilk. On many a Friday night I found myself attending county fairs, stock car races, and smoke-filled local taverns because that's what my friends were into. I didn't hunt, I didn't fish, I didn't drive a pickup truck, I didn't listen to either country or heavy metal music, I didn't smoke, and I didn't drink. Needless to say, I didn't fit in at all.

But the people who did do all of those things were my friends and their friends and their families and my family. They are good, intelligent people.

Yet I know they're the same idiots who just elected Mike Fucking Gableman to the supreme court.

I've already tried not to feel better than these people. I've always been a couple steps ahead academically, but I tried to check my arrogant, elitist nature at the door when thinking about my home town and its inhabitants.

But no. Fuck that. I'm better than them. If only because I know better than to vote for Mike Gableman.

Forget the fact that he's just another bag of hot air who avoids the tough questions by pivoting back to his talking points. Forget the fact that he doesn't have nearly the requisite intellectual chops to be qualified for the SUPREME COURT. No, what galls me about this fucker is the fear-mongering tactics he used to win, specifically by dragging my profession through the mud. Criminal defense attorneys are not criminals. In the criminal justice system, we play just as important a role as the prosecutors who pronounce themselves "protectors of the public." See, we're the ones defending the down-trodden. Gableman's attacks (and don't even start with the fact that most of the ads came from independant groups, because you know he sanctioned them) equated criminals with evildoers and defense attorneys as agents of the Beast. Cocksucker.

I just love when he goes on and on about how he's not some "judicial activist" like Butler, that he would "uphold the plain language of the law." Then, at the same time, he rants about how Butler used to set criminals free by using "technicalities." Ooooh, technicalities. You know what a technicality is? In this context, a technicality is when a defense attorney asserts a defendant's constitutional right, like the right of every citizen to be free from an unreasonable search and seizure, or the right to confront one's accusers in court, or the right against self-incrimination. A "technicality" is the equivalent of "upholding the plain language of the law" when applied to criminal defendants. Gasp, shudder.

The sad thing is, it's not Gableman's fault. It's the fault of the citizens of Wisconsin who fall for such tactics. More likely than not, it's the fault of my old friends, their friends, their families, and my family. So, as our constitutional rights get increasingly eroded by justices who claim to "uphold the plain language of the law," all the while advancing one political agenda, I know whom to thank.

2 comments:

KathleenKMM said...

I'm sitting for the bar in WI this summer and I kind of want to make sure Gableman swears me in this fall so I can make sure to tell him I'll be working as a public defender. Maybe I'll throw in the fact that the only reason I could afford to do an unpaid internship with the DA last year was because my criminal defense attorney boyfriend paid my bills.

Anonymous said...

Still thinkin you're a cut above your crowd. Nice job checking your tudes. Hope the whole after law school job thing is working out for you as planned.