Wednesday, January 17, 2007

No News is Gay News

Sorry the news of my return to the DA's office has been so few and far between, but truth be told, not a goddamn thing has happening worth mentioning. They've been down two attornies lately, and reports of their backlog reached 1200 uncharged cases at one point. Which means, no court for me. I've gotten the pleasure of sitting and dictating domestic complaints non-stop, as well as charging out the occasional stack of traffic. Whoopee.

I did get one venture into court for a preliminary hearing for a child abuse case, which was a barely-mitigated disaster. It seems the investigating police officers decided to entirely skip the "investigation" phase and stick with mere allegations, which made getting any details out of the two witnesses (both 13 year old girls, one of whom recanted and said nothing happened at all) like pulling teeth. From a pissed off alligator. Who has no teeth. The only mitigating factor is we got in the bare minimum of facts for a bind-over on both counts, barely avoiding dismissal. I just want to give a shout out to police incompetence, since they made me look like an idiot when it really wasn't my fault. Thanks, assholes. At least I looked fly in my new suit.

It's not all bad though. I'm a lot more comfortable with domestics now. They gave me an office this time - the old office of the guy who just got elected DA. I still enjoy all the people here, and the only two who I didn't really care that much for are the ones that left. No real permanent job prospects here, though, since they've got to fill their openings pretty much ASAP. Still, good experience, and hopefully good money for me. Kinda shot my winter break as far as rest and relaxation, but honestly, I catch up enough on those during the semester. This should be a busier semester for me, between work, class, and LDP, but as far as I'm concerned, break starts when school starts.

Back home for the weekend. Hopefully I'll have more to report by then.

No comments: