Tuesday, June 06, 2006

All Up In It

Just finished the second day working for the state. So what do I do all day? Honestly, I sit around the court room all day and look fly.

So far I haven't actually said anything, mostly just intimidated people with my presence. Tomorrow I might get to conduct the bond hearings though. You know how that's going down:

Judge: "Mr Vice, what does the State recommend?" V: "Your honor, the State recommends Mr. Ramirez should go fuck himself." Or "Your honor, the State's not greedy. All I'm looking for is a cash bond, $200 G's, and when 48 hours is up, bitch betta have my money."

My primary focus for the summer will be criminal traffic cases. Doesn't sound like much, I know - - mostly OWI's and operation after revocation. But with the high volume caseload, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get a couple jury trials. Next week I might have a couple bench trials, depending on whether or not the people settle beforehand (or show up).

It's been really cool so far. At least half of what I'll be doing is getting out an interacting with people, whether its doing initial appearances or bail hearings or possibly a couple trials. I get to see how the law affects real people, and I like that. I imagine it will get pretty tedious as I start to see the same things over and over, but for now I like it.

I just wish I could transport this thing to Madison. Not only could I be around my friends, but then my criminal traffic cases would lean more toward drive-bys, which I'm much more familiar with.

1 comment:

Johnny Utah said...

While you're sitting around looking fly, I'm plotting on how to use a live tiger to refresh a hostile witness' recollection.