Thursday, September 07, 2006

Rollin'

Here's a rundown of my classes: Police in a Free Society - a new topic for me, and it appears somewhat challenging. Beyond that, I've got the wacky jungle safari (African Law), which pretty much appears to involve reading Cliff's book, and quite possibly nothing to do with the law. How the hell he's going to grade that class, I have no idea. After that, I've got one class (Criminal Litigation) that looks entirely like review of things I already know, which is surprising because I generally try not to learn much here. But when we're discussing the basic attributes of preliminary hearings and I already argued several in court, the material seems less than challenging. Then there's the Prosecution Project's version of Personal Responsibility, which I'm told is pretty much a blow-off class where we talk about our summer experience. And my final class, 4th 5th and 6th amendments, should be pretty demanding, but it is also going to help tremendously with my job, because that's a lot of what I'm dealing with there. For example, today I really struggled trying to write a memo because I couldn't quite sort out the issues well enough to put them on paper. Then I got home, pulled out my textbooks, and read a chapter which gave me all of the law I needed to sort things out. Now I can go back, blast out the memo, and get paid good money for it.

As for next semester, I'll finally deal with T&E. However, I'm told by several reliable sources that if you read the books, do the problems, and know the statutes, you don't have to go to class, and the exam is cake. Plus, I've already heard another class I wanted to take is obscenely easy. That leaves two more schedule fillers, and room for something I'd actually enjoy taking (Literature, Creative Writing, Golf?) just for fun.

Reminds me of the old addage -

Do you know what sucks about being a 3L?

2 comments:

Johnny Utah said...

I finally know what sucks about being a 3L: career services.

Ismael Tapia II said...

Hey, man, if career services doesn't get you a job in the law, maybe they can hook up up with a job in the school. I hear they're looking for a new Special Assistant to Mike Hall.