Thursday, December 14, 2006

America...

Consider this post a reaffirmation of American preeminence. Ever since I was little, I've developed a reputation as a notoriously picky eater. I don't like vegetables, I don't really like Mexican food, I've never gone for Chinese or Indian or any other Asian food. Growing up in a rural part of Wisconsin, I never really faced much opposition to the good old fashioned American foods I was used to. So my parochial appetite was never really an issue until I came to law school. As the most diverse place I've spent any significant amount of time in, Madison offered an exceptionally broad range of ethnic foods, many of which I've come to enjoy.

As I find more and more foods that I like outside of my usual comfort zone, I've made a sincere effort to broaden my horizons. When it's time to eat, I don't automatically go to the standard burger and fries option. For instance, today the choice of where to eat lunch fell to me, and I decided on the Rising Sons Deli, a Thai/Laotian place on State Street. Thai food has been a recent addition to my pallette, and I had heard good things about this place. Additionally, a sign in the window advertises a buffet of two entrees, rice and soda for $6.95, which is not bad (Forgetting for the moment the option of A8, who provides the same for only $4.95. And hey, they can't all be as phenomenal as A8). So I met up with Kristin, and we gave it a shot.

Come to find out, the "buffet" table has only four options, none of which look particularly appetizing. And let me tell you, thine eyes did not deceive. I got some beef noodles and some meat substance, Kristin got a vegetable deal and the noodles. She took two bites before setting it aside. I wanted to like mine; I got some salt and some soy sauce, and tried to liven it up a bit. No dice. The noodles had no taste whatsoever. The rice had coagulated into a giant mushy rice ball. And the meat -- well, each piece of meat was attached to a sizeable piece of fat. I'm not sure what the meat even was. I located one piece not attached to any fat and gave that a shot. Turns out, I don't think it was supposed to be eaten. It was incredibly gamey, and lit my mouth on fire, until I neatly disposed of the wretchedness into my napkin. In a word, the meal was God-awful.

After a short discussion, we fled to McDonalds, where chicken McNuggets and a McFlurry set things right. Then we find out that Fudruckers, them of the classic American burger and fries variety, had some sort of free meal offer going on.

I know that one abysmal experience shouldn't dissuade me from trying new foods. But right now, as of this moment, all I want to do is find me an apple pie, put a slice of cheese over it, and chomp that sucker down while I salute the flag.

1 comment:

Ismael Tapia II said...

Yeah, I have to say. While I really enjoy the pad thai at Rising Sons, the buffet stuff looks terrible. I went there once with Emily and Ben, and I decided to go somewhere else rather than eat that stuff. I have no idea what it is.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.