Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Day the Laughter Died

Law Revue is officially over. I've refrained from commenting thus far because, well, it's kinda made me sad. No more script writing, no more rehearsing, no more outrageous performances. No more live tigers. No more ninja fights. No more alleged vaginas. No more nonsensical Kaplan jokes. No more carrying a machete down State Street. No more Commandos. No more bringing down the Hamburglar.

I've been involved on and off in sketch comedy since freshman year of high school. Over the past decade, there have only been 2 years where I wasn't knee deep in putting together either a Saturday Night Live tape or a Law Revue production. It's something that I absolutely love, and am going to miss dearly. I need a good creative release to stay marginally hinged, especially while in law school, and this show provided it. I dont know that I'll ever have an opportunity like that again. There's always little comedy troupes and plays and things going on, but I don't know that I'd have time for them.

This year's show came and went a little bittersweet. I didn't start writing until late; for some reason, I just didn't have the writing bug. Of course, just like last year, by the final weeks of the show, I was kept up at night with new ideas, including one sketch written entirely between the hours of 4:30 and 6:30 a.m. I was happy that Ismael got to participate a lot more this year, not having Law Review elections on game day, which ensured that all members of MZRM were well-represented this year.

As for the show itself, I thought it was better than last year, if nothing else. Regardless of the audience reaction to some of it, I thought the quality of the individual sketches this year was definitely better. Some of it got lost in translation on stage (notably Kaplan's lines, the Gameboy music, and 1L Cop, which was flippin hilarious), but most turned out well. RPM and I toiled for weeks on Harry Potter, and although I still wish it had been performed as one unit rather than split into pieces, I thought that went over pretty well. The Hall of Fame movie was pretty sweet, and expertly edited. I was disappointed with how the Commandos sequel turned out, obviously, but I was still pretty proud of that sketch. Plus, seeing Chuck Norris decapitate the Douche Lord will forever live on as a high point of life.

Of course, one sketch was not at all well-received. I'm not going to say much about it, except this: I admit the sketch was in poor taste, but I stand by it. I did not mean to offend anyone, and I can see how some could be offended, but you really have to take it in context. Not just the context of the sketch, which is significant in itself, but the context of this being a comedy show. The day we can't even mention negative stereotypes (banning the "n word," anyone?) is the day I give up on comedy and freedom of expression completely.

Overall, it was an incredible experience, one that will be sorely missed. Maybe, if we ever get dvd copies, we can get together once a year for viewing parties once we enter the real world. I say bring on the dvds, and let us live on in infamy!

4 comments:

Ismael Tapia II said...

I'm down for the once-yearly viewings. That's a great idea.

And don't get too down--we've still got a lot of things to look forward to, spring break being first on the list.

Johnny Utah said...

Death is next on the list.

Ismael Tapia II said...

To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure, Mr. Utah.

Vice said...

I'm not too down - I just need to find another forum for such antics. Law Revue was great because we could unleash them on the general populus. In particular, I think CJC2 (and CJC, for that matter) was a great parting shot at all the outrages perpetrated through our years here, all of the rampant douchebaggery, etc. Through those sketches, we got to hold up certain arrogant, horrible statements made by certain students to ridicule. That's a good feeling.

I guess now, the next thing will have to be Cape Day.