Friday, March 02, 2007

Meeting of the "Minds"

Holy buckets. Put three lawyers in a room, let them discuss a legal issue for ten minutes. An hour later, try to recall any of what just happened. Today my employer wanted to discuss a case with me, and we talked about it for awhile before determining we didn't know how to proceed. Plus, there were some unresolved issues, such as him wanting to file a completely nonsensical motion, and me balking at it. So he called up his Yoda-esque attorney friend (complete with green skin) to have him conference with us and offer his opinions. Then the fun began.

Now, I prefaced this by saying three lawyers, and included myself. Normally I wouldn't, but this was one case I've been working for so long (the overbreadth challenge to the defamation statute) that I knew what I was talking about, and felt comfortable interjecting amidst the blabbing. It went like this. My employer would frame a question, but not in a way that the other guy could answer it effectively. The other guy would start to answer, thinking it through for himself, and then stop. I would frown at both of them. Then my employer would spout off some other stuff, which didn't really come into play yet. Yoda would consider this, then give another hypothetical answer, even more off-topic. I would interject, trying to draw them back to what the real issue was. My employer would agree with me, then add some more stuff to muddle the issue. Yoda would have a clearer picture, and offer a better response. My employer would ask another circuitous question, Yoda would ponder it, then give another response that didn't address anything relevant. I would frown at both of them, check my watch, and wait for the correct moment to intervene. And so it went, this ridiculous meeting of the Ents.

I can't wait to do this professionally. I want to be the guy obscuring the issue as much as possible, and getting paid roughly a billion dollars an hour to do so.

No comments: