Thursday, July 19, 2007

Yes, Mom. Yes They Do.

I was having lunch with my parents the other day, trying yet again to explain the difference between my taking appointments for the SPD and trying to get an actual SPD job, as well as what other opportunities are out there for me. The conversation moved in the direction of personal injury law, because I had said that there aren't really any big criminal law firms to my knowledge, mostly smaller firms, and I was asked about Habush Habush and Rottier, which I said dealt more with PI cases. My mom said that she read in a John Grisham novel that you don't want to be a tort lawyer, and I replied that is pretty much what personal injury lawyers work on - tort cases. Mom asked if that was like the term "ambulance chasers," and I said yeah, they would be personal injury lawyers.

Then, God's honest truth, my mom asked me, "So how the firms get those cases? Do they just send someone down to the hospital to look around?"

No comments: