Wednesday, May 02, 2007

In Retrospect

Law School draws to a close, and life heads down a new path. The thought hasn't caught up with me yet - every once in awhile I realize something like "that's my last class ever," or "that's the last time I'll ever have to see (insert random law douche here)." Law has not only occupied the last three years of my life, it has changed it in exciting and totally unexpected ways. So for my next series of posts, I'd like to recount some of the ups and downs, the favorite memories, the not so favorite memories, and everything in between.

Today I start with the biggest changes for me, personally. In no particular order, they are as follows:

1. I don't actually like the law, or at least the study of it. I'd been planning on going to law school since I was ten years old. My path had been set for so long; when I graduated high school there was no question what I'd do, and when I graduated undergrad it was the same. Just the next step up my staircase toward world domination. I didn't have any choices to make, which was freeing. I just did what came next. Then when I got here and realized I didn't actually care for the law, suddenly my whole life was thrown out of whack. Where was I headed? What was I going to do? I couldn't take a job in something I hate just because that's what I'm supposed to be doing. So I detached myself almost entirely from the school for the first 3 semesters. Then, thankfully, I discovered my affinity for criminal law - the practice of it, anyway. Suddenly I had purpose again, and now I know what I want to do. I don't have the same ambition I used to - - now I really think I could settle for a DA position and be happy with my life without going into politics. Before that would have seemed a failure, but now it seems a good fit.

2. I've branched out as a person. Before law school, I had kinda been in a holding pattern - I had lived in the same community for 21 years, and had all the same friends pretty much from Middle School until I graduated undergrad. Now, don't get me wrong, I really liked my friends, and I liked hanging out with them. But I didn't really share the same interests as them. The further along I got, the less comfortable I felt where I was. Then I came here and met people with similar interests, primarly the poker group and, later, KH. Here, people actually want to do the things that I like to do. From poker to superhero movies to making fun of douchebags to writing comedy sketches to exercising to golfing horribly to TV on DVD to fighting grizzly bears and beyond. It's nice to feel completely in place for once.

3. Relationshipping. I arrived at law school single and happy; I'm leaving law school involved and blissful. I only dated one girl prior to coming here, and although we stayed together a long time, we were pretty much complete opposites and never should have been together. Now I've found someone who is, for all intents and purposes, perfect for me, and who I can't imagine ever being without. And if not for law school and a certain Superfriend that pretty much forced us together, it never would have happened. And for that, I will be forever greatful.

I haven't quite decided my next topic, but it will be forthcoming.

No comments: