Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Quest

Yestermorrow I heard tales of a mighty blizzard approaching from the north, a great snowfall soon to be descending on this great city in hordes of ashen white. Vex me this did not, for am I not a man? Have I not conquered the state of nature, the realms of man and beast? Blithely I scoffed at any impending peril, and went about my way, quite unperturbed.

And as the radiant day transformed into tempestuous night, the shadow fell upon us, and arrived this fabled squall, in full force. "What foul sorcery is this?" I exclaimed aloud. My journey home from the damnable school of law now seemed treacherous, but my valor never wavered; onward I traveled, making haste to return to my domain, and pass the evening hours in the comfort and security of my living quarters. In the depths of my soul, I knew I must venture back from whence I came, and that another expedition into such calamitous conditions might very well spell the end of my days. Perhaps, I mused, some power I have not forseen will arise and send this contemptible gale back into the abyss. Perhaps tranquility will once again return to my kingdom.

But lo, it was not to be. The morning star did not rise, and the blizzard's vice grip o'er the city strengthened all the more. A pallid veil fell upon the realm, and a shadow of trepidation cast upon my heart. I had failed to heed the portents, and a time of reckoning was now at hand. Return I must to the accursed school of law, but at what cost? My very life in the bargain?

Steeling my resolve, I turned around to face my home once more. Fare thee well, my humble abode, for I may never again lay eyes upon your welcoming hearth. Onward, then, I did embark, buffetted on all sides by the falling snow. The journey was long, and precarious indeed, but perseverance carried the day. Onward and onward I voyaged against the unrelenting tempest, until I finally said fuck it, all we have today is a speaker, then Legal Process. I'm not going to listen to either one. Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Thus, the die was cast, and homeward bound was I. And though I never reached my chosen destination, scribes will yet look back upon this day, and with grandeur most befitting proclaim, "He, a man of limited stature but boundless fortitude, accosted the whirlwind, this indomitable force of nature, and emerged, alive and victorious, barely."

3 comments:

Ismael Tapia II said...

Indeed, a compelling tale. I look forward to the day when i can gather my grandchildren and other kin around the communal fire and tell this tale of adventure and courage. Yay, how the younglings will be awestruck by your example, oh Lord Ruby.

RPM said...

Count Ruby and the White Night. It almost works off Sir Gawain.

The medieval quest is always a hit, even one without a dragon.

Vice said...

Katherine my dear, that was exactly the point of the story. And I love your spelling of "spiel."