Friday, February 10, 2006

Think of the pow-ah!!

For those of you who don’t know, I will be working as an intern at the Winnebago County District Attorney’s office this summer. As such, I’ll be appearing in court on behalf of the state, essentially, and I will be able to make charging decisions, argue jury trials, and make deals with defendants. So my Prosecution Functions professor Ben Kempinen told us that we might face situations where we’ll be authorized to make a deal with a defendant, but their attorney might first suggest something higher, and we might ask the prosecutor what to do, and they will tell us to do what we think is right. Kempinen says that prosecutors have virtually unlimited power. I’m coming to this realization now, seriously - - I’ll be wielding the power of the state. Not, you know, a lot, but damn…

I think Cartman said it best in the newest South Park episode –
(in melodramatic German accent) “Think of the pow-ah!”

Respect my authoritae! Posted by Picasa

No comments: