Sunday, March 05, 2006

Days of Thunder

Cole Trickle here. Just made it back to Madison after a harrowing journey through the snow and slush. I saw probably upwards of 10 cars in the ditch, plus two two trucks and many cop cars out assisting people. And how did my driving skills fare on the road? I had one incident where I started fish-tailing, it got way out of control. Luckily I was on a straightaway and there was only one car nearby. It was still a little freaky because it was a two-lane road and the car was coming toward me, but he slowed down and I ended up doing about a 270, with my back end facing the opposite direction on the shoulder of the road. But I didn't go in the ditch, so I just turned around and kept going.

The big one came later. I got to Highway 151, which wasn't plowed (Which, by the way, what the hell??). I was going about 60-65, and seemed in control. Then a guy rolled past me in the left lane, and passing is always a tense situation because the left lane isn't nearly as clear as the right lane, since most people drive in the right lane in bad weather. So the guy starts passing me, and then we reach a curve in the road. All the sudden he starts sliding out of control, right up ahead of me. Then he skids sideways through my lane, so I cut over to the other lane, and just barely avoided him as he sailed by and slid backwards into the ditch. That was intense.

After that, I slowed down a little just to avoid ending up like that poor bastard, but I still had to pass pretty much everyone on the highway because they were all going like 45, and their lane was relatively clear by then. So it got a little scary trying to pass people when my lane was still slushy, but I got through okay. I think this demonstrates one point I've had problems convincing other people of - I really am a good driver. Not "good" in the sense of safe and rule-abiding, but "good" as in effective. Perhaps I'm just better suited to NASCAR-style venues.

And, in a related story, just as I was finishing this post, the guy in the next apartment over started shouting "Yes! Fuck you! Fuck you in your skanky, pregnant ass!" I can only assume he was talking to me.

1 comment:

Ismael Tapia II said...

Oh man. That's some scary shit there, good going on the driving. Perhaps you will be allowed to sit behind the wheel of the seXterra on our trip South.

This reminds me. One time, i was doing 80 on an icy highway. To my left was a cliff. To my right was a stone wall. I lost control of the car and it did a full 180 while still on the road, then skidded backwards on the highway before finally coming to rest on the side of the road. It was some freaky shit.

Also, what the fuck is up with your neighbors? my GOD. skanky pregnant ass? man...