Wednesday, March 01, 2006

It Was Good For Me

So I just got completely mindfucked by Contracts II, parol evidence, and partial integration. Do you ever have one of those days in class where you’ve read the material, you know the case, you know the ruling, you know what rule was applied, but once the class discusses it you find out its about a thousand times more complicated than you thought? That’s what happened. I had a vague understanding of what was going on, per usual, but today I paid attention in class. As it turns out, the rule of parol evidence isn’t quite so clear, and I spent about a half hour working through the differing interpretations in my head, trying to come up with exactly how they work, and the implications of each. You know how that is – you’ve got your logic bubble going full steam, and every time somebody speaks, the words invade your bubble so you try to tune them out, but then someone says something actually helpful, and you start all over. So yeah, it was one of those. And when I was finished, it felt like I really understood it. It felt like possibly my greatest intellectual achievement all semester. Suddenly this abstract concept had been screwed directly into my brain. So naturally I felt exhausted afterwards, and more than a little sated. I’m lighting up my mental cigarette right now.

Of course, this begs the question, has everything in law school been that complicated, except I never actually engaged with the material? That’s a frightening thought, but it would also explain a hell of a lot. Perhaps if I allowed concepts to mindfuck me now, I won’t get randomly bent over on the exams.

No comments: